As spring snow melts, now is the time to focus on keeping the basement dry. As a home or property owner, have your home prepared in case there is an excessive amount of water to be dealt with. Understand what is covered by your insurance, and what is not. A flooded basement is quite common, however, it is also quite common for flood damage to not be covered under the standard home owners insurance. Here are a few examples of what is not covered:
Sewage Backup
If an external sewer system backs up into your home/basement, insurance will not cover the damage, unless there is a separate endorsement added to your policy. Sewer damage is also one of the most expensive disasters for a home owner. Most insurance companies offer an endorsement for sewage backup and is fairly inexpensive. Look for an agent that provides a minimum of $10,000 coverage.
Rising Water from Heavy Rain or Surge
A flood caused by nature will not be covered by your home insurance policy. You will need a separate flood insurance policy. Flood insurance covers certain objects (appliances or personal belongings), but wont include the structure, like flooring or ceilings. You should have a policy that provides replacement cost for your personal items if possible.
The best thing you can do for your basement is have a functioning sump pump that pushes water out as it fills in the sump tank. As a home owner, you want to take the proper steps to prevent a flood in the first place. The sump pump is the most affordable and convenient option available.
Water Seepage from Underground
This is quite a common issue for home owners, yet, it is typically not covered. When the ground becomes saturated after heavy rain, it will seep through the ground, resulting in a flooded basement. Insurance companies don’t consider this to be a cover-able disaster. Same applies for flood insurance, unless the seepage is directly related to a flood in the area.
As a home owner, to prevent seepage, make sure your homes foundation is up to date on inspections and solid. You can also have your walls sealed if you have an older home. This is also an affordable option in protecting your home.
So what does the standard insurance policy cover from a flooded basement? A standard policy covers leaks from a water heater (as long as its not from malfunction or neglect). If frozen pipes burst, you should receive coverage (but must prove you were a resident at that time, and the home was heated, or water systems were turned off while you were gone). You should receive coverage from a flood caused by a broken appliance (washing machine, fridge, ac unit, etc.). However, if insurance can prove the flood was due to lack of maintenance, they may deny the claim.
As a home owner, to protect your home from flood damage, you can install a sump pump, have a flood insurance policy, seal your walls, and routinely inspect your appliances. If you come home to water in your basement, and need restoration services, call the professionals at Crew Construction and Restoration. Our team will have your home restored in no time.

Restore. Revamp. Rebuild

Restore. Revamp. Rebuild.